Thursday, August 9, 2007

Pennyrile Friends of the NRA Banquet

The Pennyrille Friends of the NRA gathered tonight at the James E. Bruce Convention Center in Hopkinsville for the annual banquet. Each room in the Convention Center is named in honor of those who helped secure the funding for its construction. While only my second time visiting the building one can't help but notice some of those honored.

Represtative Jim Bruce, Rep. John W. Adams, Sen. Joey Pendleton to name a few. Rooms are also named for Jim Bunning and I would assume that one is also named for Mitch McConnell although I did not see it. I'm not sure either of them had anything to do with the funds. I have been told that Bunning is proud of the honor and would like to visit but just can't seem to remember where it is.

A room should be named for House Speaker Jody Richards, who dedicated a lot of time and energy to make the convention center a reality.

Tonights dinner began with the invocation led by Sen. Joey Pendleton. Throwing caution to the wind in liberal Christian County, the good Senator thanked his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for all that we have. I like these dinners because it is like church but with lots of guns. State Rep. John Tilley, Sen. Joey Pendleton and myself were sponsors of this years event. Although Rep. Tilley could not be there, he was recognized by the Committee for his continued support.

Christian Co. Sheriff Livy Leavell was in attendance as was a representative from Congressman Ed Whitfield's office. Republican nominee for State Auditor Linda Greenwell made the trip to be at the banquet.

These events are usally long but tonight was worth it since I won a 22 revolver. I will be sleeping with it tonight. Included with the gun were both 22 short and 22 mag cylinders. With the gang violence in Hopkinsville getting out of control it's nice to have a little more fire-power to hold these vicious thugs at bay. For more explanation I must refer you to my old friend Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing".

Sponsors recieved a bronze statue of George Wahington with the following inscribed on it:" A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a Uniform and well digested plan is requisite" This is from Washington's first State of the Union address.

I was introduced as a representative for Rep. Tilley which was fine although Rep. Tilley had not ask me to represent him and he may not of wanted me to represent him. I was proud to do so in my new found capacity as a representative for a representative. It has been 13 years since my days with Congressman Tom Barlow that I actually represented someone. I tried to behave myself accordingly but yes I did dip snuff at the table. Senator Pendleton who sat beside me did not seem to be disturbed by my nasty habit in the least. I did win a UofK license plate which I quickly gave to the good Senator. I won't even get off on my UK tangent tonight. I'm a Notre Dame, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Georgetown(KY), and Murray State fan.

I did take the opportunity to brag on Rep. Tilley and Todd Hollenbach Jr. for their strong support for gun owners rights.

The evening concluded with me waiting in line to fill out the background check application which was completed there. Once again I was cleared by Big Brother(A background check which has probably been out sourced to some third world country) to take my gun home.

God,Guns and Tobacco are alive and well in Christian County. Amen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking care of our boy Todd. He is very much a friend of the NRA.